The name of the organization is the ‘YMCA World Urban Network’.
It shall also be known by other names (WUN), marks and symbols as adopted by the Executive Committee.
The YMCA World Urban Network is a network of General Secretaries/ Chief Executive Officers dedicated to strengthening their leadership, to deal with the human consequences of urbanization, within the context of the YMCA Mission.
The World Urban Network is an organization of General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers of large urban YMCAs of the world.
The membership of the network voluntarily collaborates to provide opportunities for personal growth and support, the sharing of information and to create activities which facilitate mutual assistance and professional development.
D. VALUES The World Urban Network will operate utilizing the following values
Competence Having the requisite qualities and skills
Timely & Relevant Responding and managing quickly with information which is accepted as relevant
Participation Providing the opportunity for individual involvement
Respect Showing respect for others
Transparency Governance and management which is open and available to members.
E. GOALS The goals of the YMCA World Urban Network are:
1) To help strengthen the purpose and mission of the YMCA
2) To expand urban General Secretaries/CEOs capacities to deal with the human consequences of urbanization.
3) To increase the General Secretary/Chief Executive Officer's ability to develop resources for YMCA program development within the YMCA.
4) To promote mutual assistance, international awareness and understanding among General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers of urban associations.
5) To advocate within the YMCA and other urban institutions the urban development issues affecting our cities.
6) To provide training and development opportunities for the General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers and their senior staff.
7) To assist members of the Network to collaborate through pairings and partnerships.
The YMCA World Urban Network achieves its purpose and goals through:
1) The conducting of conferences, training programs, consultations and other activities that help develop the membership of the Network and achieve the goals of the Network.
2) The collection, provision and exchange of relevant information with and among urban YMCA executive staff.
3) Facilitation of the development of pairings and partnerships to provide direct support and assistance to members.
4) The determination of ways and means of financing the work of the YMCA World Urban Network.
5) The provision of activities of an international scope which cannot be effectively undertaken by individual associations.
6) Maintain and develop relationships and cooperation with the World Alliance, other YMCA bodies and external organizations.
7) The creation of committees or other groups which are needed to help meet YMCA World Urban Network goals.
The YMCA World Urban Network will be made up of General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers of urban YMCAs which meet the following criteria:
1) Urban centers of over 500,000 in population
2) YMCAs with multi-faceted programs
Special circumstances may be taken into account by the World Urban Network Executive Committee to permit membership of General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers whose local association may differ from the criteria.
H. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The YMCA World Urban Network Executive Committee is composed of a minimum of 16 members that will adequately provide world-wide representation of the YMCA World Urban Network membership, including the Chair. A minimum of 20% of the membership of the Executive Committee will change every two years for a preferred maximum of six years. The Executive Committee shall be elected, by the membership, every two years and will be eligible for re-nomination. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt members as needed. The Committee shall be responsible for the following functions:
1) Acting as the governing entity for the YMCA World Urban Network.
2) Developing, adopting and monitoring of an appropriate budget.
3) Maintaining relationships with other YMCA organizations.
4) Ensuring that there is an official directory of member urban YMCA General Secretaries/Chief Executive Officers.
5) Maintaining a communications and relationship network.
6) Determining ways and means of financing the works of the YMCA World Urban Network.
7) Electing/appointing the Officers of the World Urban Network
If an Executive Committee member stops being an active General Secretary/CEO he/she will immediately cease being an Executive Committee member,
Vacancies occurring on the Executive Committee shall be filled by the Chairperson with concurrence by the Nominating Committee.
The YMCA World Urban Network Executive Committee shall meet in person, at least, once every year and may also meet utilizing other methods, (phone or electronically), on other occasions. The times, places and methods of meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee.
At all meetings of the Committee one-third of the membership of the Committee, then in office, shall constitute a quorum.
If possible, the cost of travel shall be borne by the members of the Executive Committee.
The officers of the World Urban Network shall consist of a Chairperson, two or more Vice-Chairpersons, a Treasurer, Past Chairperson and such other officers as the Executive Committee deems necessary. Officers are elected by the Executive Committee from its membership. The officers shall serve a two year term but may be re-elected.
If an Officer stops being an active General Secretary/CEO he/she will immediately cease being an Officer of the World Urban Network and the Executive Committee may appoint a replacement.
The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the YMCA World Urban Network Executive Committee and shall perform duties assigned to him/her by the Steering Committee. In the absence of the Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson shall perform such duties.
The Executive Committee shall appoint a Standing Committee which will serve for approximately two years. This Committee may have various names Governance Committee – Nominating Committee etc. however the Committee shall:
1) Nominate members of the World Urban network Executive Committee for consideration by the membership.
2) Nominate the World Urban Network Chairperson for consideration by the Executive Committee.
3) Nominate officers for consideration by the Executive Committee.
The immediate Past Chairperson (should he/she still be a member of this Committee) and the Chief Executive Officer shall be ex-officio members of the Committee.
Membership of the Committee will be restricted to individuals who will not stand for the position of Chairperson.
K. CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
The Officers will recommend, every two years, the appointment/reappointment of a CEO and after appropriate consultation, the Executive Committee shall, by majority vote, elect the CEO of the YMCA World Urban Network.
The CEO shall have the responsibility for the management of YMCA World Urban Network business. The CEO shall also act as Secretary for the YMCA World Urban Network business meetings and committees.
The financial support of the YMCA World Urban Network shall be provided by:
1) Membership fees based upon a. fee schedule set by the Executive Committee.
2) Donations and allocations by individuals, foundations and
other YMCA bodies in sympathy with the YMCA World Urban Network.
There will be an annual audit, or letter of comfort from the Chief Financial Officer of the administrating YMCA, of all YMCA World Urban Network financial activity which will be available to all members and donors. The World Urban Network financial statements will be a part of the audit conducted within the administrating YMCA. The Executive Committee may request a separate audit at their discretion.
The fiscal year shall be September 1st until August 31st. The membership year shall commence the first day of the month the membership is paid for new members and on a continuing basis for existing members.
There shall be an integrated administrative office of the YMCA World Urban Network in an association selected by the Executive Committee, and additional regional offices at such other places as the Executive Committee may from time to time determine.
The association housing the integrated administrative office must have the support of the urban associations within the National movement of which it is a member.
The principal office may be relocated in coordination with the appointment of the CEO.
Conferences At approximately two year intervals, the YMCA World Urban Network shall hold a conference/consultation for the purposes of ascertaining the needs of the membership, information exchange, education, electing the Executive Committee, fostering of the urban concept and inspiration for the implementation of a two-year plan.
Training At approximately two year intervals, the YMCA World Urban Network shall hold a training event designed for individuals that have the potential of becoming very senior executives of large urban associations including the position of CEO/General Secretary plus smaller urban YMCA General Secretaries
The YMCA World Urban Network will operate on the following two year meeting cycle with the Executive Committee holding a meeting in conjunction with each event:
Year 1 Training Event
Year 2 Conference/Consultation
O. MEMBERSHIP FEES
Members shall pay a membership fee, based on a formula, approved by the YMCA World Urban Network Executive Committee.
The responsibility to collect the membership fee will be shared by the YMCA World Urban Network Executive Committee.
Revised, Jan 2009 the World Urban Network Executive Committee.